Thursday, January 10, 2008

Welcome to 2008!

We're back in action at CAIS! I hope you had a restful and refreshing Christmas holiday. As for me, I enjoyed two weeks in Thailand with friends. It was a real treat, and my favorite part was spending 5 days in Chiang Mai. I plan on sharing more about my trip to the Elephant Nature Park with the class sometime in the near future. I learned a lot and had such a good time!

As the new year starts, we have also started a couple of new units. In Math, we are studying Measurement. In Science, we have kicked off a unit on Geology. In Social Studies, we are learning about Canada's First Nations people, as well as focusing on our Heritage through Language Arts. In Writing, we have moved on to the topic of Voice. It's time to add some zip and zest into our writing!

Students are currently selecting a book for their Book Talk assignment. Each student will choose a book and then use symbols and a decorated container to give a presentation on their book (without revealing the ending!). Book Talks will be presented during the last week of January (29-31). Most of this assignment should be completed at home, though we will take time in class to practice the delivery of the Book Talk.

That's all for today! This evening my parents will fly in to Hong Kong, so I am looking forward to introducing them to the class on Monday! Blessings to you, and best wishes for the year ahead!

Wikispaces